[Tutor] Is this possible and should it be done?

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:07:32 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Joel Goldstick wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but python
>> handles tar files (various compression formats) with this module:
>> http://docs.python.org/library/tarfile.html.
>

> Technically, tar is not a compression format. It just combines multiple
> files into a single tar file, with no compression.
>
> Of course, you can compress the tar file afterwards, with zip, gzip, bzip2,
> rar, or any other compression format you like. Especially common ones are
> .tar.gz and .tar.bz2.
>

>> What is your motivation for this idea?
>

> With respect Joel, the OP did give a use-case for his idea, did you not
> notice it?

Maybe I said that wrong.  I was just wondering why someone would want
to rebuild something that is already available with python module.
Sometimes people like to build things to see how they work.  Sometimes
they build because they aren't aware of a previously built solution.

And thanks about pointing out that tar doesn't do the compressing, but
can be combined with compression software.

> --
> Steven

Joel Goldstick