[Tutor] Coding Challenges

Chris Fuller cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net
Mon May 21 17:31:19 CEST 2012

On Monday 21 May 2012, Martin A. Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  : Being new to programming, I've found that my learning is
>  : accelerated when I've been asked to write scripts and deliver
>  : them in a specified time frame...Then, have those scripts
>  : critiqued.
>  :
>  : My question: Would the moderators of this list be interested in
>  : creating a monthly "challenge" of sorts? Then, those who
>  : participated could receive suggestions on how their code could
>  : have been written differently.
>  :
>  : If not, and you know of something else like this that exists,
>  : would you kindly share those resources?
>
> I'm answering a question slightly tangential to what you asked, in
> the time-honored tradition of asking a completely different
> question...
>
> Are you familiar with Project Euler?
>
>   http://projecteuler.net/
>   http://projecteuler.net/problems
>
> I don't know whether critique is involved in the Project Euler,
> though.  I would agree, having a concrete task to approach is a good
> way to learn.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> -Martin

Project Euler is *very* math heavy (it is named after a famous mathematician,
after all).  Some of the problems are accessible to the general programmer,
but expect to see a lot of stuff you might not have much familiarity with, if
you aren't a math nerd.

Another choice is The Python Challenge http://www.pythonchallenge.com/.  It
emphasizes a puzzle/riddle aspect, often the actual programming is pretty
straightforward once you figure out what is needed.  On the other hand, I
haven't used it enough to progress all that far, so I really don't know it
that well.

Cheers