[Tutor] Datetime Integers

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:06:19 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Jeremy Traurig
<jeremy.traurig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a module available for python to convert datetime into an
> array of integers. For example, I have date where the first column is
> a datetime string (i.e. '2010-10-10 01:10:00') and I would like to
> convert that into an array with 5 columns corresponding to the integer
> values of Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute. There is a function in Matlab
> that performs called datevec() that performs this operation. I find it
> much easier to index datetime or perform calculations on other data
> when date and time are integers. For example, i generally need to
> calculate averages, std, etc based on specific months, years, days,
> and hours. Those calculations are extremely simple when I can index an
> array of datetime integers. If there is no module to convert datetime
> to an array of integers, does anyone have an example of how i might
> index datetime using python datetime or numpy datetime64? In each
> case, I would need an array of datetime the same dimension as my data
> array.
>
> thanks -- jeremy

Yes, its called datetime

>>> import datetime

>>> datetime.datetime.strptime('2010-10-10 01:10:00', "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
datetime.datetime(2010, 10, 10, 1, 10)

>>> print datetime.datetime.strptime('2010-10-10 01:10:00', "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
2010-10-10 01:10:00

I think there are Constants that can be used in place of the
formatting characters, but I couldn't find them in a quick search

--
Joel Goldstick