[Tutor] Optimally configuring Emacs for W7-64bit and Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed May 23 00:25:53 CEST 2012

On 22/05/12 04:26, boB Stepp wrote:

> 2001, is available on the Sun Blade at work, I already own the book
> "Learning GNU Emacs" and it would be nice to have my fingers trained
> the same way for both work and home study.

That's a fair reason and emacs will work for any of your languages and
incorporates many of the features of an IDE albeit a text based one...

> What is the best way for me to get my W7-64bit laptop configured for
> Python programming?

Install python mode.
Learn how to get the python shell running inside emacs.
Learn how to get a cmd shell running inside emacs
Learn how to do split windows

After that emacs is a giant application with everything customisable
by the user so its down to your preferences. Colour schemes, key
combinations, how much automation (keyword completion etc) is all
under your control.

One extra that I would strongly encourage for working with Python on
windows is to supplement the emacs debugger mode with winpdb. It can be
had for Linux too, I don't know about Solaris. But I think your Solaris
is non GUI based anyway as I recall? So that won't matter.

hth
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site