[Tutor] Python 2.7 Static Version and Postgresql

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:18:07 CEST 2012

On 29 May 2012 12:20, Opher Lubzens <opher.lubzens at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately I'm using this in my work, and cannot rely on the psycopg2
> extension being available in the server that the script will run on unless I
> can enter it into the python-static bundle as an in-built module: I'm aware
> of the extension and would love to be able to use it. I apologise for my
> question being unclear- English is not my first language.

What does this work machine run exactly?  Why won't you be able to
(for example) keep some libraries in your own home lib folder and
update the library load path so that your own libraries can be used by
your programs?  Does this machine have gcc (or some C compiler
installed)?  Does it have any version of Python available at all?

Anyway, if you've got enough freedom to install and run static python
from your home account, then IMHO in theory you should have enough
freedom to set up your own lib folder and probably ulimately even a
complete _non-static_ Python environment in your home account. (+1 for
Joel's virtualenv suggestion), though admittedly this may not be
trivial by any means.

Walter