[Tutor] running multiple concurrent processes

richard kappler richkappler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 02:03:26 CET 2012

Oscar, that was positively brilliant! Now I get it, I understand how to do
it, and I think this has rearranged my entire plan for the "MCP." If the
MCP is basically just a program that calls several other
programs(processes) and does that bit of coordination between each, then my
life just got measurably easier. I think. I did some reading after my last
post, and manager seems like it would be a good tool for a lot of this, or
at least what we're calling the MCP for purposes of this discussion.
Thoughts?

I am reluctant to usurp any more of your time, but you are such a
phenomenal teacher, might I ask for a quick example of threading like you
did with the two multiprocessing snippets?

Bill, I appreciate your comment and have given it much thought, Ramit made
one much the same the other day. Here lies the potential problem, though it
might not be one at all, I need to do some experimenting. While I am a fan
of monolithic programming, I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do would
work on, say an old netbook. That might be a requirement. I'd prefer it not
to be, but it might. Also, thanks for reminding my addled old brain that
event driven is called interrupts. I knew that at one point, but seem to
have flushed it somehow.

eryksun, I am using Linux, not a big fan of Windows, though have to use one
at work, so thanks for breaking down forking on both platforms for me.

This probably falls into the dumb question category, but I'd rather look
dumb than be dumb. Other than as limited by CPU and memory (eg: hardware)
is there any limit to the number of processes that can be run using
processing? In other words, are there any constraints within Python?

regards, Richard

--

quando omni flunkus moritati