[Tutor] Beginner's question

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 00:52:15 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Dave Angel <d at davea.name> wrote:

> You're looking at a particular implementation of CPython code, while I'm
> looking at Python's docs.  In tha language version 2.x, the result is
> repeatable, but undefined, deliberately.

I wouldn't dispute that. I have no experience with Jython/IronPython
to confirm what they do. Also, this ordering for None is unmentioned
in PEP 207:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0207

Nor is it tested in test_richcmp.py. That said, in CPython the
ordering hasn't changed since rich comparisons were added in 2.1a
(circa 2001):

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/b60831eeab5a/Objects/object.c#l514

Without this exception, comparing to None would use the type name
(currently "NoneType", but "None" in v2.1), which I realize is also
unspecified in the docs.