[Tutor] Civil discourse from a newbie's perspective

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 2 19:01:49 CEST 2012

On 02/10/12 13:17, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> I do not intend helping anyone who insists on top posting despite
> requests not to do so.

That is of course your prerogative, we can reply to, or ignore,
whichever posts we choose. But we need to be realistic about top
posting. It is the norm, and generally preferred in business thanks
mainly to Microsoft outlooks default settings. But it is what people
have become used to in the commercial world. That is inevitably moving
into the internet community too.

So we cannot judge too harshly if someone  uses top posting, hopefully
they will see the advantages of "context posting" (rather than bottom
posting which can be almost as bad a top posting!) and of stripping
excess verbiage. They may also observe how much easier it is to get
useful answers if the follow the popular idioms!

But we all have the choice to engage or ignore with anyone on the list
just as we choose.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site