[Tutor] Civil discourse from a newbie's perspective

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 03:50:01 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM, boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> This is the beginning of exactly the same message I received when I
> first joined this mailing list. Honestly, newbie or not, I do not
> understand why many of the posts from newcomers so routinely violate
> the contents of this welcome message. I know I am trying to abide by
> them. Laziness? Difficulties with English comprehension? Sheer
> stubbornness? Or something more innocent? I have no clue. But fellow
> newbies: Please (!!!) read the contents of the welcome message. It
> spells out in great detail the expectations for posting here and might
> help you get your questions answered much more quickly and
> efficiently!

On my way to Walmart and back it occurred to me that what I wrote
above is somewhat harsh. I did not mean it to be so! However, it also
occurred to me that maybe what I have received and am receiving is not
reaching all newcomers to this list. In fact, it is NOT the welcome
letter that contains the rules for good posting and tips on answering
one's own questions, but an auto-generated email in response to a
newcomer's first few posts. Instead of posting a copy of the email
sent to me, see http://code.activestate.com/lists/python-tutor/88777/
, which appears to contain the full text of what I have received. I
hope it is helpful to anyone who has not received it for some reason
or other.

--
Cheers!
boB