[Tutor] Newbie help with .pyc

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 5 11:30:25 CEST 2012

On 05/10/12 10:07, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 04:23, ken brockman wrote:
>> I wonder if they might be a way for some on this forum to dispense
>> advice and help others without the totally snide and obnoxious
>> attitude?
>
> I'm firmly with Steven here.  If people cannot be bothered to do any
> research into how to ask they can expect snide responses.  If they don't
> like that that they can move on,

There are valid points on both sides here.

We do need to remember that not all the people coming to tutor are
experienced computer users, They are often youngsters just getting
started in programming and as such have no experience of research or
internet communities other than Facebook etc. Technical forums are very
different and they need to be guided for their own benefit. At the other
end we have older folks who might be very intelligent and experienced in
research but not in computer fora or email lists.
These folks need to be educated in how to use technical forums but
in a reasonable way. Of course if they ignore the advice given then they
should not expect the sympathetic manner to continue!

And then we have professionals moving from another language to python
and here we would expect good questions, good formatting and the other
things that show respect for their fellow professionals giving their
time for free to help the community. Anything less is just laziness.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site