[Tutor] string rules for 'number'

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 20:20:26 CEST 2012

On 07/10/2012 18:46, Arnej Duranovic wrote:
> When I type this in the python idle shell ( version 3...) :
>              '0' <= '10' <= '9'
> The interpreter evaluates this as true, WHY? 10 is greater than 0 but not 9
> Notice I am not using the actual numbers, they are strings...I thought that
> numbers being string were ordered by their numerical value but obviously
> they are
> not? Can anyone explain this to me and explain how strings with numbers in
> them are ordered?

You thought wrong :) A string is a string is a string.  They might look
like numbers here but that's completely irrelevant.  They'll be compared
lexicographically, something I'm not inclined to attempt to explain so
see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexicographical_order

Please also be careful with your terminology.  Note that I've used
compared.  Ordered is very different, e.g. FIFO is often used for first
in, first out.

> Thx in advance.

Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.