[Tutor] Through a glass, darkly: the datetime module

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 9 03:48:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:50:14PM +0200, Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Sander Sweers schreef:

> >As far as I know also in Belgium Sunday is officially the first day of
> >the week. Look at the calendar and check what is the leftmost day. My
> >guess this is the same as your northern neighbor, Sunday ;-).
>
> On the contrary, I can't remember ever having seen a non-foreign
> calendar with weeks starting on Sunday.

Depends on what you mean by "foreign" :)

Here in Australia, we sometimes use Monday and sometimes Sunday as the
first day of the week.

My calendar applet in Xfce under Debian squeeze gives Sunday as the
first day of the week.

According to Wikipedia, the first day of the week can be Sunday, Monday
or Saturday. Some examples picked at random:

Sunday: ancient Roman, Hebrew, Greek, Arabic, Malay, Persian, etc.
Monday: Polish, Russia, Serbian, Mongolian, Hungarian, Turkish, etc.
Saturday: Swahili, Georgian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_days_of_the_week

--
Steven