[Tutor] How can I modify this simple script for argparse?

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:13:22 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Santosh Kumar <sntshkmr60 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a sample script without argparse implementation:
>
> from sys import argv
> script, filename = argv
>
> foo = "This line was written by a Python script."
>
> with open(filename, 'a') as file:
>     file.write(foo)
>

> I find argparse hard. Just give me a startup. How can I make a asgparse version?

The documentation may be hard to understand, but the tutorial isn’t:
<http://docs.python.org/howto/argparse.html>

Anyways, here you go:

import argparse

parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()
parser.add_argument('filename', action='store')

args = parser.parse_args()

foo = "This line was written by a Python script."

with open(args.filename, 'a') as file:
    file.write(foo)

Note that this is the most basic version.  Also, I had problems with
running it as a standalone file, but it worked fine in the interactive
interpreter.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post