[Tutor] Problems ugh help please

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Oct 14 05:02:41 CEST 2012

On 14/10/12 07:17, Amanda Colley wrote:
> I am trying to add the total pounds that will be shipped. I keep getting an
> error of unknown format code 'f' for object of type 'str' when I try to
> float the pounds.

My guess is that here you are doing something like:

"weight is {:f}".format(weight)

but weight is a string, not a number. It's only a guess because you don't
show us the actual error you get, or the actual code you run. Luckily I
love guessing games!

Actually, I don't, I hate them. Please, we're volunteering our time to help
you for free. Make it easy for us to help you: always copy and paste the
complete traceback, starting with the line

Traceback (most recent call last):

all the way to the end.

>and when I dont float it it gives me a total weight of
> <function pounds at 0x00000000032B92CB>  when it exicutes.

That tells me that instead of *calling* the function "pounds", you are just
giving it by name.

weight = pounds  # makes "weight" another name for the function "pounds"

What you need is to call the function:

weight = pounds()

Note the round brackets (parentheses for Americans), which tells Python
to call the function.

--
Steven