[Tutor] IDLE shell indentation?
alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 19 09:00:59 CEST 2012
On 19/10/12 03:11, boB Stepp wrote:
>>>> if zero:
This is a long standing bug/feature of IDLE and gets debated regularly
on the IDLE mailing list.
BTW There is a more feature rich unofficial version of Idle called IdleX
by Roger Serwy here:
* Terminal-like behavior for PyShell. The cursor is confined to the
prompt and up/down arrow keys navigate the command history, similar to
the original Python interpreter.
* Matplotlib support for interactive figures when using the subprocess.
* Tabbed editor windows with drag'n'drop reordering.
* SubCodes, similar to Matlab cell mode and Sagemath cells, for quick
code prototyping without restarting the shell.
* Integrated reindent.py support.
* Improved code navigation with Code Browser.
* Cython editing and execution support. (Version 0.15.1)
* Line numbers for the Editor.
* Clear PyShell Window without restarting PyShell.
* Simple interface for enabling/disabling extensions.
* SearchBar, Squeezer, and IDLE2HTML included. (Originally by Tal Einat,
Noam Raphael, and Michael Haubenwallner)
But it still has the broken indentation.
The last thread I saw on the topic said:
On 06/21/2012 03:39 AM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 21/06/12 02:16, Roger Serwy wrote:
>> I could write a patch to allow ps2 prompts if there's any serious
> I would love that.
> This is one of the most common issues I get from users of my web
tutorial. At least one email per month from beginners confused by IDLEs
There is an issue for supporting ps1 and ps2. See
I'll start writing a patch later today.
Author of the Learn to Program web site
More information about the Tutor