[Tutor] Running a script in the background

Dwight Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 06:28:25 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Michael Lewis <mjolewis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am sorry to ask this when there are a lot of resources online regarding
> the subject, but I've spent the past two days trying to figure this out and
> I don't get it.
>
> I have a script that will run forever

Forever is a very loose term.

> . Since it runs forever, I don't want to see the interpreter or command
> line. I want the program to run in the background so I don't see it at all.
>
> How can I do this? For some background, my script essentially check every
> x minutes to see if any files have been updated and then moves them to
> dropbox.
>
> I want to be able to do this on both OSX Mountain Lion and Windows 7. If
> need be, I can create two separate scripts to separate out the two OS's.
>
> I haven't tested this yet. I was about to use this instead of a cron job
for autoresponders. In my limited knowledge in this area, I'd think that
calling the script in startup/boot like this describes:

http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/09/07/adding-a-startup-script-to-be-run-at-bootup/

might help.

Or maybe a tkinter/wxpython app, that hides itself continuously, buit there
might still be a launched icon on the app bar your OS should have. I
haven't used OSX Mountain Lion, yet. I like looking at different OS setups.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto