[Tutor] help me decide

Matthew Ngaha chigga101 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 20:45:12 CEST 2012

hey guys as i program more, i think of silly questions i would like
answers to. if anyone doesnt mind entertaining my question, please do
answer:) I have just about finished my beginner tutorial, just a few
exercises left. i feel confident using Python now but im still not
sure which direction i want to go in. I would at some point like to
learn how to use GUIs and a web Framework(Django). But i don't know
which of the 2 to start out with.

a) IF you happen to have used both, which one fills you with joy and
is more fun for you to program with, GUI programming, or web related /
Framework programming?

b) which was easier and less complex for you to learn? or should i say
had a lower learning curve? i ask this because the sooner i get an
understanding of one, i can maybe give the other one a go. But if it's
too hard i usually give 100% to it and never try learning anything
else until it computes.

my tutorial had a small section on tkinter. I have now looked for some
tutorials and noticed Python tutorials on both tkinter and Tk. As i
understand they are not the same thing but tkinter is like the
interface of Tk? my question is:

c) which tutorial would be better to study, Tkinter or Tk? and what
exactly is the difference? why do they have separate tutorials?

i looked at some pyQT articles, but its coding looks less organised
than Tkinter.

d) is this true? is Tkinter a lot more straight forward and Python friendly?

e) Does pyQT have grids (rows and columns) to place your widgets on
like Tkinter, or do you have to use x and y axis to position widgets
etc..?

Before i try to learn either, GUIs or a web Framework, i was looking
into maybe getting a deeper understanding of OOP. my tutorial only
covered it briefly.

f) would this be a good idea tackling OOP next before the other 2, or
is this a skill you master with more programming experience?

ok my last question is not so important:) im just curious as i grow
more fond of programming. well i keep reading Python is an all-purpose
general programming language(web frameworks, desktop apps,
science/maths etc..). I notice Java has similar features so should
also be considered an all-purpose general programming language. my
question is:

g) not a comparison in 1 specific area, but which language is better
or more suited to all around all-purpose quality.

thanks guys