[Tutor] Making big 'uns into little 'uns

Ray Jones crawlzone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 04:14:32 CEST 2012

On 09/06/2012 05:34 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On 07/09/12 01:33, Ray Jones wrote:
>
>> Our homework "monitor" complains if we use code that hasn't been
>> discussed in session yet.
>
> The good old "teaching by enforced ignorance" method.

Actually I like what they're doing. First of all, this is a CS101 class
- not a Python class.

I've done some (relatively - from my viewpoint) advanced programming  by
knowing what I wanted to accomplish and finding a (in the past) Bash
tool to accomplish it. In fact, as I've been converting my Bash scripts
to Python, I've been doing pretty much the same thing (which is why I
subscribed to this list ;) ).

But somewhere along the line I will be trying to do something that a
specific tool won't accomplish: I'll have to use my brain! I've never
known what I could and could not accomplish without another, stronger,
tool, so I never really tried. Now I'm learning to apply my mind to
problems that I KNOW can be accomplished with basic code and applying my
mind to solving the problems. ;)

Ray