[Tutor] How to send email from a gmail a/c using smtp when port 587(smtp) is blocked

ashish makani ashish.makani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:27:04 CEST 2012

Walter, Marc,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions & super quick replies.

As a noobie, i often run into brick walls, thinking something(problem i am
stuck at) is not possible to do in python.
I love struggling against that problem & figuring a way out.

I have posted to the tutor mailing list in the past & the community here
has always been amazingly welcoming & super helpful, so as a n00b, i was
just a little taken aback &surprised at Emil's not particularly helpful ,
yet completely accurate response :)

Marc,
your 3rd point,

> you could establish a VPN tunnel to some server outside of the
> university's network and send from port 587 on THAT machine.  Complicated,
> weird, and not horribly secure.  But doable.

Could you point me to a good link/resource on how to do this ?

Walter,
you suggested writing a web service running somewhere else (e.g. Google
Apps, AWS, etc) which i could request from my python code, which in turn
would do the emailing.
Can you point me to any good links/example code which might explain writing
a simple SOAP/ReST web service using port80(http) or preferably,
 443(https).
I know nothing about web services, but could this web service essentially
be the python email code, i mentioned in my original post, if i run it on
Google App Engine ?

Thanks a ton,

Best,
ashish