[Tutor] [Semi-OT] Yes or no on using a Graphical IDE?

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 20:32:10 CEST 2012

> Hey all, not trying to contribute to the flames of one graphical IDE over
> another. I'm just trying to figure out if they are worth the learning
> curve? I have been doing most of my work in vi and the graphical IDE I'm
> supposed to use for a class keeps adding crap that I have to erase, and I
> have to move my hands to use the GUI parts instead of just typing.
>
> Is there a point in which a GUI IDE becomes more of a help than a
> hindrance?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Leam

Leam,

It's really a personal taste. I can't speak for others, but this is my basic
setup: I use a highly customised graphical text editor (jEdit) with several
plugins specific to what I'm doing. I guess it kind of equates to a lightweight
IDE. I combine this with an ssh connection to a FreeBSD box for all the
wonderful *nix command line tools, scripts, debuggers, etc that are out there.

I like the idea of an IDE, but haven't met one I really care for. I much prefer
a GUI editor over a purely console based one. That is, I like the ability to
use a mouse to aid in quickly moving text around. I also like the sub-pixel
anti-aliased fonts that you don't always get on a console. (Of course, this
depends on the console.) You can do most things with command line editors,
(some even support using a mouse) but I never found it to be as fast. Again,
it's personal and I'm probably getting off the subject. This is more of a
console vs. GUI debate.

I short, I'd say use whatever you're comfortable with. After that, use what
your friends/co-workers use. The popup auto-complete for class names or
variable names in IDE's is nice and can often save you from having to look
something up, but it isn't critical. Console tools like ipython can make up for
some of that, but even so that's not something I generally write code in.

Perhaps others have more insight.
-Modulok-