[Tutor] floating point rounding inconsistency

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 28 14:37:10 CEST 2012

On 28/09/12 22:15, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> The Python round function is itself problematic. The idea of deprecating
>it is currently being discussed on Python ideas. This quote from Calvin
>Spealman is typical "Also, I'd be completely in support of dropping round()
> and agree it gets misused and leads to too much confusion. We should
> promote the right ways, and sometimes to show the right path you need to
> lock another door and throw away the key.".

Isn't that the same Calvin Spealman who wrote the blog post spreading FUD that
Python was at risk of dying because, well, frankly because he was utterly
ignorant of just how much Python code is written in the places where he
thought no Python was written?

I'm not impressed. He sprouts off about how you can't use Python on mobile
devices, when you can. What makes you think his opinions on breaking
working code just because he thinks he knows the "right ways" are any less
ignorant?

Deprecating and dropping features causes pain to developers who are already
using them correctly. There is strong opposition on deprecating round.

--
Steven