[Tutor] Reading Program

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 21:46:29 CEST 2013

On 4/8/2013 2:58 PM, Donald Dietrich wrote:
> I am just new to python programing
welcome. what other programming experience do you have? What version of
python? and what OS?
> would like some help developing a program for "flow reading"  What I
> would like the program to do is use any  .txt file like micorsoft word
> .txt file and flow the words across the screen one at time until the
> file is come to the end. I would also like to control the rate (time)
> of flow.
Do you have any experience developing GUI applications?

Do you have any experience with reading files?

I would start simple, and add pieces one at a time. Pseudo code:

open the file
grab a line
   split it (by default this will give you a list of "words" - meaning
text strings that are separated from one another by
   whitespace)
   write  a word to the console (terminal)
   sleep for a short time
   repeat for each word in the list
repeat for each line in the file.

Then take a look at the various GUI packages that have a Python version.

tkinter comes with the Python distribution.

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239