[Tutor] building a website with python

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 04:38:40 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Don Jennings <dfjennings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Benjamin Fishbein wrote:
>
>> Hello. I learned Python this past year (with help from many of you) and wrote many programs for my small business. Now I want to build a website. I acquired the domain name through godaddy.com (bookchicken.com) but have not found hosting yet.
>> I learned html, css, and javascript via codeacademy.org, but have never built a website.
>> I would like to build it with Python,
>
> So, are you really just wanting to use python to build a static site? If so, you can run a python web framework on your local machine and then deploy the static files to any decent host you find. For example, there are instructions for setting up this scenario using flask, jinja2 and markdown[1]. If you have experience with ReStructuredText (here's a comparison of the two markups [2]), it's fairly easy to use docutils to produce the html files.

Good suggestion. I wrote this article showing how you can do that
using Sphinx. Please take a look [1]. The advantage of using something
like Sphinx is that it gives you static HTML, which you can simply
copy and paste. As you will see in the article, it is also very easy
to upload your HTML to GitHub pages.

[1] http://amitsaha.github.io/site/notes/articles/sphinx/static_html.html

Hope it is a solution which suits you. Also, getting familiar with
Sphinx may also help you in your future Python projects - since it is
*the* de-facto standard for documenting Python projects.

Best,
Amit.

--
http://amitsaha.github.com/