[Tutor] Hello, and a newbie question

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Apr 16 23:31:41 CEST 2013

On 04/16/2013 05:20 PM, Andy McKenzie wrote:

     <SNIP>

> Thanks for the advice, folks.  Given that it looks like the biggest changes
> are unicode handling (which I'm not going to need any time soon) and the
> way the print function works, I decided to stick with 2.7.  I'm an IT guy,
> though unemployed at the moment, and it occurred to me that "I'm familiar
> with Python, but not the version your entire established codebase is in"
> wasn't a great thing to have on a resume.
>
> Since it looks like the new formatting for print -- that is, print("Print
> this stuff!") -- works fine in 2.7, I'm just getting myself used to doing
> that from the beginning.

The degenerate print, where you're printing exactly one thing, works the
same.  But if you have two things to print, putting parens around them
in Python 2.x will cause a tuple to be printed, rather than printing the
two with a space between.

 >>> print(3,5)      -- version 2.x
(3, 5)

 >>> print(3,5)      -- version 3.x
3 5

To get 3.x functionality, you'd want to use
     from __future__ import print_function

and I do not think that works in 2.6 or older versions.  It also can be
awkward even in 2.7 if you're mixing existing code with new print functions.

--
DaveA