[Tutor] hard time importing a module

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 17:39:57 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did these files also come with a file called setup.py?
>
> Normally, a Python module is not installed by manually copying the
> files to the appropriate places but by running 'python setup.py
> install' in the terminal. This will compile any C code and copy files
> to the appropriate places. Note that you will need to have separately
> installed a C compiler to be able to compile C code.

I think this is the SendKeys module in question:

http://web.archive.org/web/20121002234104/http://www.rutherfurd.net/python/sendkeys

You can get the zipped source from archive.org above, along with
binaries for 2.1-2.6. The source  has a setup.py, but as Oscar said
already you'll need a C compiler. You can use Visual Studio 2008 to
compile it for 2.6/2.7. There are direct links for VS 2008 Express
edition (free as in beer) in this SO answer:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/14979612/205580

Or use MinGW-w64 if you prefer since the source isn't C++:

http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

There's also a binary installer for 2.7 here, courtesy of Christoph Gohlke:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#sendkeys