[Tutor] Runs in IDLE with F5, but not in Windows Command Prompt

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 06:11:40 CEST 2013

In my on again, off again studies of Python I am stumped on something
that ought to be trivial, but I am not seeing it. When I run  this
program (only the part up to where the error occurs is shown):

import random

numberToGuess = random.randint(1, 20)
numberOfGuesses = 0

print("Hello! What is your name?")
playerName = input()

...everything works fine from IDLE. However, in the Windows command prompt:

E:\Programs\Python\IYOCGwPy\Ch4>python -V
Python 3.3.1

E:\Programs\Python\IYOCGwPy\Ch4>guess.py
Hello! What is your name?
boB
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\Programs\Python\IYOCGwPy\Ch4\guess.py", line 13, in <module>
    playerName = input()
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'boB' is not defined

E:\Programs\Python\IYOCGwPy\Ch4>

This has me totally puzzled. I thought it might have something to do
with the fact that I also have Python 2.7 installed, so I removed it
from the path variable and also did the check for version that you see
above.

Okay, the thought occurred to me to put my input in quotes: 'boB' ,
and I see this works. But why does the command prompt force me to put
my strings inside quotes? Perhaps I am too sleepy. It seems I should
understand why this is so from some other questions I have asked, but
I am not putting it together.

Thanks in advance!
boB