[Tutor] Beginner question

eschneider92 at comcast.net eschneider92 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 10 05:30:37 CEST 2013

I've been learning python from the website 'inventwithpython.com', and I'm on a chapter that covers the following code:

import random
import time
def displayIntro():
print('You are in a land full of dragons. In front of you,')
print('you see two caves. In one cave, the dragon is friendly')
print('and will share his treasure with you. The other dragon')
print('is greedy and hungry, and will eat you on sight.')
print()
def chooseCave():
cave = ''
while cave != '1' and cave != '2':
print('Which cave will you go into? (1 or 2)')
cave = input()
return cave
def checkCave(chosenCave):
print('You approach the cave...')
time.sleep(2)
print('It is dark and spooky...')
time.sleep(2)
print('A large dragon jumps out in front of you! He opens his jaws and...')
print()
time.sleep(2)
friendlyCave = random.randint(1, 2)
if chosenCave == str(friendlyCave):
print('Gives you his treasure!')
else:
print('Gobbles you down in one bite!')
playAgain = 'yes'
while playAgain == 'yes' or playAgain == 'y':
displayIntro()
caveNumber = chooseCave()
checkCave(caveNumber)
print('Do you want to play again? (yes or no)')
playAgain = input()

I'm confused about what the line 'checkCave(caveNumber)' does and how it works. I would appreciate any help with this

Thank you,

Eric