[Tutor] i need help with the following question

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 20:31:04 CEST 2013

First of all, ONLY use text mode for sending messages to the mailing list.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM, ALAN GAULD <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> You need to include the tutor list (use ReplyAll)
> if you want to send to the list.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are after, can
> you give a bit more background. What do you mean by
> "knowledge base", "object code", "a.i. style of program",
> OFC, GUI linking, "xyz matrix code" etc? I could guess,
> but I might get it wrong.
>
> I assume Houdini is some kind of package or app but
> I've never heard of it and don't know what it does.
>
> Python is a general purpose programming language and
> so can likely do whatever you want it to do. But you
> will need to figure out how. It's unlikely to be a
> trivial exercise.
>
> Alan Gauld
> Author of the Learn To Program website
> http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

Not sure what that last sentence means.

> (for a start let me just add that i'm moving onto electronic electrical
> extended lvl 3 diploma mainly due to very poor computing teaching quality
> -among other things- budget cuts :c )

For starters, this is a list with many Americans and people from all
over the world.  I have no idea what extended lvl 3 diploma is, and
you lose points by complaining about your teachers.  Maybe you don't
ask questions very well (a thought!)

> - So my interest in python is no longer academic, until uni
> but still... :)
>

> wondering if you could tell me if it's possible to make a program that is
> effectively just a knowledge base but one that can change the area of it's
> specialization.

So, the original question about ways to output from python has nothing
to do with your questions now?

Maybe you are talking about a general purpose data base.

At this point, let me back up and ask if you could describe your
general level of programming experience.  What language(s)? Do you
understand what an algorithm is? A database?

> To clear it up a bit , coupled with the possibility of a GUI or object code
> as to allow your avg joe to input said questions in any format and the
> program can interpret it, not so much using a.i style of program (don't
> think efficiency of the code will be a problem here) but rather reference
> imported libraries/lists.

Sorry, this last paragraph looks like something made up by a bot to
sound intelligent.  It reminds me of the Dilbert Corporate philosophy
generator.

On what basis are we to compare GUI to object code .  How does this
relate to a.i

I want to be positive and helpful, but the more I look at this thread,
the less of a question I see.

Earlier a responder posted a link describing how to ask a good
question on a mailing list.  You should read that.

> I've been  thinking about it for a while and the best I can come up with is
> just constant iteration , while and import, then OFC for GUI linking some
> xyz matrix code. - or even run that kinda stuff on programs like Houdini

Where will you put the flux capacitor?

> If I haven't waffled enough; what I would like to achieve
>
> simple general purpose code for matching keyword in said locations to serial
> lists, be able to outomaticly append the list to allow retrieval of most
> common searches faster
>
> linking a program like Houdini to xyz (courtesan) code
>

> any info on this is great greatly appreciated, or even just ideas to get me
> going
>
> regards
> -j.shelley
>
>> To: tutor at python.org
>> From: alan.gauld at btinternet.com
>> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:32:14 +0100
>> Subject: Re: [Tutor] i need help with the following question
>

>> On 26/08/13 09:29, isaac Eric wrote:
>> > describe different ways of displaying output using python!
>>
>> This smells like homework.
>> We don;t do your homework for you although we will try to point
>> you in the right direction. But you need to show that you are
>> at least trying to figure it out for yourself.
>>
>> Also, in general, it helps if you tell us what version of Python
>> you use on which OS and what tutorial, if any, you are following.
>>
>> Then be as specific as possible in your question so that we can
>> give you a specific answer.
>>
>> As it stands I'd say the answer to your question is:
>>
>> Python can output on stdout, to named files, to a GUI or to a network.
>> The output can be in the form of text strings or bytes.
>> Which of those, if any, counts as 'display' is up to you.
>>
>> --
>> Alan G
>> Author of the Learn to Program web site
>> http://www.alan-g.me.uk/