[Tutor] Web scrapping

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 19:49:09 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Amal Thomas <amalthomas111 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I am new to python3. I am working in computational biology. I need to
> submit many sequence (one by one) to a http web server (
> http://mfold.rna.albany.edu/?q=mfold/RNA-Folding-Form) . After the
> processing I need to download the output file. There is an offline package
> for this server but certain features not available in it. The url for each
> request is not unique. Is there anyway to do this process by a code ie
> sending the request, downloading etc. Any suggestions or useful material
> will be of great help.
> Working on
> Python 3.3.1,ubuntu 13.04(Linux  3.8.0-29-generic x64)
>
> Thanking you,
>
> Amal

Python comes with the urllib module, but there is a third party module
called Requests (http://requests.readthedocs.org/en/latest/).  This will
let you fill in the form via your program, and also download some document.

Your subject 'screen scraping' is puzzling.  It seems what you are asking
is how to make your program act like a user filling out a form.  Or i
completely misunderstood.

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com