[Tutor] Thanks a bunch (was Re: Tutor Digest, Vol 118, Issue 64)

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 06:38:26 CET 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Walter Prins <wprins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gmail matches the format of the sender.  If I reply to a text format
> email, the reply is text format.  If the original is HTML mail, it
> replies in HTML format.  In that sense it talks back and respects the
> sender on their terms.  Also, there is a drop down (right bottom) with
> which it's trivial to change from one format to the other.

This is contrary to my experience. If I send a test message to myself
in rich text mode, Gmail's webmail composer remembers that setting the
next time I reply (i.e., the reply uses styled block quoting,
practically destined to be mangled as messages are quoted multiple
times through incompatible clients). This setting is apparently stored
in one's account and remembered across sessions. I can log out, remove
all Google cookies, and the choice of rich text persists in a new
session. But outside of a test message, I never use rich text. When I
reply it's always in plain text mode; the format of the original
message doesn't matter. Maybe it's more complicated than this, but I
can only speak from experience.