[Tutor] Saving files in Python, IDE's & editors

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 12:09:39 CET 2013

On 12/18/2013 03:28 AM, Keith Winston wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM, <tutor-request at python.org> wrote:
>
>> What else do I need to do to make this version of Python an actually
>> usable programming environment?
>>
>> Chris Acreman
>>

> Chris, I'm also a noob, but I would recommend you install/use an IDE, such
> as IDLE which comes free with all (I think) Python installs. An Integrated
> Development Environment will help with formatting & debugging, but the way
> I like to use IDLE is open up a window on the right side of my screen with
> the file I'm working on, and whenever I want to run it I save (ctrl-S, or
> menu) and run (F5, or menu), and then watch it go in the other window. Very
> efficient. There are quite a few other IDE's, free and not, but I don't
> really see the value for a beginner (but then, I'm just a beginner!). You
> didn't mention what operating system (or even what version of Python) you
> are using, this will likely influence the choices others offer.
>
> It is completely possible to do everything without an IDE, though AFAIK
> most people end up using IDEs or editors that can be set up to recognize
> (and color-code, etc) programming: VIM and EMACs are big favorites. I can't
> imagine the learning curve of the latter is worth it at first, if I
> correctly surmise your relatively noobiness based on the question... IDLE
> is simple, you already have it installed probably (a little more work if
> you are on linux), and it's got a GUI interface with drop-down menus and
> all that good stuff. Hopefully I didn't just start a flame war...

You did not, I guess, instead took appropriate precautions ;-).

I just feel like adding that nearly all editors, *even non programming ones*,
even the "simplissim" Gedit, have builtin programming highlighting for a wide
range of languages and a few other features useful for programmers, often
including an integrated terminal (an emulator in fact) which permits running
programs right inside the editor, without external terminal (gedit even has a
_python_ terminal!). The reason is probably that their authors are programmers!
And all this, with the standard graphical interface of one's favorite OS.
This is in my view preferable to IDLE, somewhat weird; but IIRC IDLE has builtin
access to python documentation, which is great for learning. This can be
compensated by having constantly a web browser open on eg:
http://docs.python.org/3.3/tutorial/index.html
http://docs.python.org/3.3/reference/
http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/index.html

(My favorite editor is Geany, but I would not recommand it to a novice because
its settings are weird and annoying, in my view; but it's otherwise great!)

Denis