[Tutor] Getting Started

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 23:52:28 CET 2013

Hi,

On 18 December 2013 21:25, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Go to window->preferences->pydev->pylint.
>
> It works beautifully :)  Type something like this as the first two lines in
> an editor window:-
>
> if a == 1:
>     print('a == 1')
>
> and it gives you a red bar on the right and a red circle with a white cross
> on the left.  Move the cursor over either and you get a small popup window
> "Undefined variable: a".

Yes.  Though though the pedant in me can't resist pointing out that
this specific error would be reported by PyDev itself, not PyLint as
such, apologies if I'm too pedantic in pointing that out.  The general
point is well made and I agree entirely that it works beautifully.  :)

As further explanation of how it works for Alan's benefit: PyDev
automatically runs Pylint against the files in your open project(s) in
the background at suitable points (certainly on save but also at other
times), it captures the output and populates the IDE with the results
both inline with markers as described above (also - blue "i"'s for
informational/convention violations -- if this checking is turned on
in PyLint; yellow markers for warnings and red for errors) as well as
listing them explicitly in the "Problems" tab.   It's pretty quick,
pretty seamless and very useful IMHO.  Aside, on the right hand side
of your editor area PyDev also displays a thin vertical bar/map of
your entire file with all the issues represented, so if you have
multiple warnings/errors etc you get little yellow/red etc markers
representing the warnings that you can click on to quickly jump to the
issue represented by that indicator.  Pretty useful to quickly
visually spot issues (as reported by PyDev or pylint) remaining in a
file and jump to them to deal with them. (Of course you can also just
click on the entries in the problems list as well if you prefer.)

As another aside, do you know about the unit test integration (several
test runners) and code coverage analysis (coverage.py) support in
PyDev?

Walter