[Tutor] menu-libre broken?

Keith Winston keithwins at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 04:46:24 CET 2013

I did this sequence of commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:menulibre-dev/devel
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install menulibre

But at the end of the update I got:

W: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/menulibre-dev/devel/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/source/Sources
404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/menulibre-dev/devel/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/binary-amd64/Packages
404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/menulibre-dev/devel/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/binary-i386/Packages
404  Not Found

which led understandably, following the third command, to:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package menulibre

Sooo: I think I understand that something went wrong (the package was
successfully added to my repository, I think, but then not successfully
updated, and therefore couldn't be installed, or something like that). But
I'm pretty clueless about what to do about it.

Which is to say, help!

Meanwhile however, I did find that some programs I'd installed (Python,
Idle) were added to my menu when I rebooted my machine, after I'd noted
they were not automatically added when I installed them with the software
manager. I unreasonably blamed it all on Whisker Menu...
--
Keith