[Tutor] How to post: Was Re: The Charms of Gmail

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 23 16:31:14 CET 2013

On 23/12/2013 15:11, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:59:15PM +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
>> I entirely agree.  I'll offer to supply the cotton wool, baby oil, bibs
>> and nappies that we can wrap the newbies up in
>
> "Wrap the newbies up in"? Who taught you to speak English?

My late parents.

And what's
> with the two spaces after a full stop?

That's UK English, I don't care how people do English in the rest of the
world as I live in Angleland.

It's not 1955 anymore, get with
> the program.

You've clearly been taking too much notice of rr on the main mailing
list.  Please just ignore him.

> (See how annoying it is to have the substance of your post completely
> ignored while trivial incidentals are picked on? Are you now even a
> *tiny* bit moved to use a single space after full stops?)

No.

>> as we don't want to offend them.
>
> It's not about *offending* them. It's about being a tedious, shrill
> nagger that makes the whole environment unpleasant for everybody, not
> just the newbies. If you can give advice without being unpleasant and a
> nag, please do so. Would you rather be "right", and ignored, or
> effective?

I'll nag who I bloody well like until such time time as they can post
without pissing me off.  But what really pisses me off is people telling
me how to behave.  So please stop nagging, you nagger.

>> I mean if we do offend them, they might desert us for
>> places such as stackoverflow, where they can read top voted answers that
>> are completely wrong.
>
> I keep hearing people say this about StackOverflow, but whenever I
> google on a question I find plenty of good answers there. Yes, I see
> some pretty wrong or silly or ignorant answers, but not as the top-voted
> answer. Can you show me some of these top-voted but wrong answers?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/986006/python-how-do-i-pass-a-variable-by-reference

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence