[Tutor] can't install

Tobias M. tm at tobix.eu
Wed Dec 25 03:16:28 CET 2013

On 24.12.2013 20:15, Lolo Lolo wrote:
> ive struggled all day to install pip on ubuntu 12.04 for python 3.3 .
> The only pip in the apt-get cache is for python 2. i tried to download
> pip from source but setuptools is missing when it tries to import it.
> This made me download setuptools with apt-get but the version there is
> only for python 3.2 I've also download the distribute_setup.py file to
> get pip through easy_install but it returns errors when it uses
> urllib.request. Something to do with https, although the same
> distribute_setup.py worked perfectly when i used it on windows for 3.1
> and 3.3.
I guess I just had the same problem.
Is this the error you get when executing distribute_setup.py?

urllib.error.URLError: <urlopen error unknown url type: https>

If yes, Python3.3 is missing ssl support. You can build python from
source to get ssl support. Before doing so, you must make sure ssl is
installed on your system:

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

Then you download the python sources and do:

./configure --prefix=<prefix>

where <prefix> is a custom path (e.g. in your home directory) where you
want to install python. You can configure without the --prefix option,
but if you just want to use this python installation for virtuelenvs I
would install it separate from the rest of the system.

Then you can build and install Python:

make
make install

Note that after the first make a list of modules that were not build is
displayed. '_ssl' should NOT be listed.

Then you can create a virtualenv with your custom python build and
should be able to install easy_install with distribute_setup.py:

<prefix>/bin/pyvenv ~/my_venv
source ~/my_venv/bin/activate
wget python-distribute.org/distribute_setup.py
python distribute_setup.py

I don't know if there is a better way to get a virtual environment with
python3.3 and ssl support in Ubuntu, but this worked for me :)