[Tutor] Question on regular expressions

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 12 19:40:06 CET 2013

On 12/02/13 17:43, Marcin Mleczko wrote:

> but I am interested only in the second part between the 2nd "start" and
> the "end": "start AnotherArbitraryAmountOfText end"
>
> What would be best, most clever way to search for that?

best and clever are not always the same.

The simplest way if its a fixed string is just use the string split()
method...  being more 'clever' you could use the re.split() method to
handle non-constant strings. Being even more clever you can define regex
of increasing complexity to match the Nth appearance of a pattern. These
kinds of regex are very easy to get wrong so you have to be very clever
to get them right.

HTH
--
Alan G