[Tutor] associating two objects without ORM and processing a text file

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Thu Feb 14 22:33:26 CET 2013

Dave Angel wrote:
> On 02/14/2013 12:35 PM, Prasad, Ramit wrote:
> > neubyr wrote:
> >> I am not sure how to save an object in memory to a file before exiting the program. Any examples or
> >> related documentation links would be really helpful. I am guessing it would be using some kind of
> >> before teardown method, but not sure about it. Any help?
> >
> > Look at the pickle or shelve modules.
> > http://www.doughellmann.com/PyMOTW/pickle/index.html
> > http://www.doughellmann.com/PyMOTW/shelve/index.html
> >

> You miss the point.  The OP wants to make sure the text file is saved no
> matter how the program happens to exit.  He's not asking how to format
> the file.

Hmm. Good point Dave, I did miss that point.

My knee jerk response is a try/finally block, but I am sure there
are better ways.

# UNTESTED
stored_data = {}
try:
    stored_data = load_data()
    while True:
        #<do program>
except Exception:
    raise # reraise exception to keep trace and still
          # propogate error for attention
finally:
    store_data(stored_data) # Save data since we are exiting
                            # (intentionally or not).

~Ramit