[Tutor] Python API

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Sun Feb 17 01:35:01 CET 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Claira <waveclaira at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont know how this mailing list thing works, first time on it, they
> should have something that makes sense like quora.com

Be aware that mailing lists have a pretty long history, at least in
computing terms.  You might be interested in reading:

    http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html

sometime.  When you say that mailing lists don't make sense, it's analogous
to a traveler who says that the foreign country they visit doesn't make
sense.  Sure, it might be true, but it does have echoes of the "ugly
American" stereotype.

And there is a difference between mailing lists like Python Tutor vs. sites
like Quora: the mailing list has a public-access archive.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/  In contrast, Quora requires that
you get an account from them to even _look_ at their database.

For the question I asked, I didn't know you had to do all that just to get
> a map. What happens if I use http://mapbox.com + Python + Yelp API ?
>
> I thought that google maps lets you add stuff, and I just want that stuff
> to be stuff accessible from the yelp api -- since google won't enable you
> to do that, then if I continue with this, will I be able to do this
> on mapbox without having to make a website?

Hmmm... Does mapbox provide a programmable API?  It looks like it may:

    http://mapbox.com/developers/api/

but if I'm reading it correctly, it's a JavaScript API that depends on a
web browser, not one that's natively accessible from Python.  I don't think
it's accessible without a website, so I see no advantage over using Google
Maps.