[Tutor] How to break long lines?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sat Feb 23 06:43:29 CET 2013

On 02/22/2013 09:40 PM, Don Jennings wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2013, at 9:12 PM, tutor-request at python.org wrote:
>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:03:00 -0500
>> From: Dave Angel <davea at davea.name>
>> <snip>

Did you read the beginning of that digest?  It said to make sure and
rename the subect line.  Tutor Digest isn't much of a title.  In the
future, please reply to the individual message, which you can probably
find as an attachment to the digest.  Not only will that give you the
correct subject line, but it won't break threading either.

>> FWIW, there is absolutely no difference between a string object created
>> with single quotes, one created with triple-quotes, or one created by
>> calling some function, or by evaluating some expression.
>
> I beg to differ as it's bitten me on more than one occasion. As Steve pointed out, the triple quoted option embeds newlines. Maybe you mean something different than what I take your statement to mean?

The triple-quoting did not add newlines, the user of them did, probably
along with extra spaces.  And all the other methods of creating a string
object could have newlines as well.  No difference.  Certainly if one
does not consider the contents of the string, then one should expect
surprises.  If you run a triple-quoted string over more than a single
line, you're deliberately and explicitly adding newlines.

If you call readline(), the string object you get back is likely to have
a newline in it.  But not necessarily.  A programmer that doesn't
consider that is setting up for a surprise.

If you have a \n in a string, you're probably going to get a newline.
Even if you did something like:

     name = "c:\my\new\directory"

So if you don't consider that, you are likely to get a surprise.

Life is full of surprises;  it's important to know what your literals
represent.

--
DaveA