[Tutor] There's a Programmer in Me

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Feb 26 17:11:56 CET 2013

On 27/02/13 01:19, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 26/02/2013 13:57, Tim Golden wrote:

[emphasis added]

[...]
>>> http://pythonmentors.com/
>>
>> Umm. No. Sorry, Mark, but that site and the core-mentorship list it
>> advertises are intended for progammers who want to be helped in the
>> development *of* Python, not development *in* Python. Ie, otherwise
>> experienced programmers who are unfamiliar with the Python codebase.
>>
>> TJG
>>

> Umm.  No.  Sorry, Tim, but nowhere does the OP state that he wants to develop in Python, hence "The mission of the Python Core Mentor Program is to provide an open and welcoming place to connect students, programmers – and anyone interested in contributing to the Python Core development." seems to me an excellent fit for "some place online where a live person can tutor me to the next level".

Mark, the OP states explicitly that he wants to learn Python. I suppose that he *might* intend to learn the language without actually writing any code, but when people say that they want to learn a programming language, it's normally because they intend to, you know, program. As in develop code. Using the language he intends to learn. Which is Python. The programming language, not the snake. For the avoidance of doubt.

:-P

Python-mentors is completely inappropriate for a beginner who doesn't know the language. The core developers are too busy to be hand-holding a newbie who doesn't know any Python, and somebody who doesn't know any Python can't triage bugs, write documentation or tests, or write Python code for the standard library.

--
Steven