[Tutor] writing effective unittests

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 13:50:53 CET 2013

> Hi,

> I am trying to learn a bit of test-driven programming using unittests and
> nosetests. I am having trouble finding resources that explain how to write
> effective tests. I am not a programmer or a student, so I do not have access to
> collegues or classes. I'm hoping that someone knows of a good tutorial that
> I've missed. Based on the O'Reilly 2-Part introduction, I hope that
> learning to write tests will make my code better.

I am currently readingPython Testing: Beginner's Guideby Daniel Arbuckle
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Testing-Beginners-Arbuckle-Daniel/dp/1847198848

It covers doctest, unittest, nose, test-driven programming and more (I am just half way the book). Itś a beginnnerś guide but I like it.
Some of the examples are a little too simplistic (the author keeps writing 'fixtures' for datetime.datetime.now(), for example).
But again, I am happy that I bought it. The only thing I did wrong: I bought it too late! Apparently hte FIRST thing one has to do is write tests, not the LAST.

Cheers,
Albert-Jan