[Tutor] Here is code, no link for my previous question

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jan 7 03:52:17 CET 2013

On 07/01/13 13:07, Jack Little wrote:

> Here is the code, my error is below the code in itallics

What italics? I see no italics.

Please don't rely on so-called "rich text" email (italics, fancy
fonts, different text sizes, etc), since it uses HTML code in your
email and many people turn off such HTML code, or are literally
unable to see it even if they wanted to.

- HTML code in email is one of the top 3 signs of spam. Many people
   send "rich text" email straight to the trash as a way of eliminating
   spam.

- HTML code in email is a privacy and security risk. For example,
   that means that the sender can track whether or not you have read
   the email using "web bugs" whether or not you consent to being
   tracked. There are viruses, spyware and other malware that can be
   transmitted through HTML code in email.

- HTML code forces your choice in font, font size, colours, etc. on
   the reader. Some people prefer to read emails using their own
   choice of font rather than yours, and consider it rude for others
   to try to force a different font.

- Even if they don't mind the use of "rich text" in principle, in
   practice once they have received enough emails with pink and yellow
   text on a purple background with blinking stars and dancing fairies
   in the background, in pure self-defence they may disable HTML in
   emails, or delete the emails unread.

- Use of colour discriminates against the approximately 10% of the
   male population who are colour-blind.

- Use of italics may discriminate against those who are blind and
   using screen readers to "read" their email. I once was on a maths
   mailing list for about three years until I discovered that the
   most prolific and helpful person there was as blind as a bat.

- Programming is a *text-based* activity. Code depends on WHAT you
   write, not its colour, or the font you use, or whether there are
   smiley faces in the background winking at you. So especially in
   programming circles, many people find HTML code in emails to be a
   distraction and an annoyance.

Even if you think that people who dislike HTML emails are wrong, or
silly, or being precious, or completely nuts, nevertheless you should
indulge us. You are asking for free advice. It does not pay for you to
offend or annoy those you are asking for help.

--
Steven