[Tutor] .strip question

richard kappler richkappler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 19:27:26 CET 2013

I have a sort of a dictionary resulting from psutil.disk_usage('/') that
tells me info about my hard drive, specifically:

usage(total=147491323904, used=62555189248, free=77443956736, percent=42.4)

I'm having a bit of a brain fudge here and can't remember how to strip out
what I want. All I want to end up with is the number percent (in this case
42.4)  I started playing with .strip but the usage term before the parens
gets in the way. If it weren't for that I could convert this into a dict
and just pull the number by the key, right? So how do I strip out the
'usage' string? Once I do that, I think I know what I'm doing but here's my
proposed code to look at if you would.

import psutil as ps

disk = ps.disk_usage('/')

# whatever I need to do to strip usage out

d = {}
for item in disk.split(','):
    item = item.strip()
    key, value = item.split(':')
    key = key.strip()
    value = value.strip()
    d[key] = float(value)
return d

Mind you, this is as of yet untested code, so before you ask for
tracebacks, I can't give any until I figure out how to get rid of the
preceding 'usage'.

regards, Richard

--

quando omni flunkus moritati