[Tutor] writing effective unittests

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Sat Jan 12 01:23:00 CET 2013

Japhy Bartlett wrote:
> TDD is a good principle but usually seems a little too pedantic for real world programming.  Where tests (in my
> experience) get really useful is in making sure that a new change hasn't unexpectedly broken something already
> written.

I would argue that TDD is a pedantic for non-real world (i.e. academic) programming
and not at all for real world programming. In the academic world, manually testing
is fine assuming sufficient manual testing (unless the professor is testing your
testing). It was rare for me to use a project more than once or edit it enough
that to find automated testing (TDD/unit) useful. Now group projects are a
completely different story.  Of course, this depends on your level of degree
and subject matter.

In the working world, testing is much more essential
because money (yours or your company's) relies on the code being correct.

~Ramit