[Tutor] (no subject)

Ali Raza Ghasemi ghasema01 at leedslearning.net
Sat Jan 12 18:32:38 CET 2013

I have to make a program that adds binary numbers together. The program has to accept two binary values (up to 8 binary digits) and output their total in binary. The output should not contain any leading zeros.
I have a problem in that I don't know how to limit the number digits to 8 as it accepts however many digits you enter, I also want the  program to ignore anything other than 8-bit 0s and 1s. It is a python version 3.2.3
Here is my code:

def add_binary_numbers(num1, num2):
    while True:
        return num1 + num2
        if len(str(num1)) > 8:
            print("Please enter an 8 bit binary number")
            continue
num1 = int(input('please enter the first 8 bit binary number: '),2)
num2 = int(input('please enter the second 8 bit binary number: '),2)
result = add_binary_numbers(num1, num2)
print('the result is', bin(result)[2:])