[Tutor] UnicodeWarning: Comparing String

- ialectum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 18:36:26 CET 2013

Hi,

I am trying to check if a Unicode string matches data from an Easygui
"enterbox". I spent one hour looking online how to solve this problem
and I'm still stuck because I don't understand all of the explanations I
find. Lots of trial and error didn't help either.

I use Python 2.5.1.

===This is the error message:===

> UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both
> arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

I do understand that everything has to be in Unicode for my code to
work, but I do not know how to properly change my code.

===This is my code:===

> # coding: iso-8859-1
>
> from easygui import *
> import sys
>
> good_answer = "pureté"  # notice the accute accent
>
> answer_given = enterbox("Type your answer!\n\nHint: 'pureté'")
>
> if answer_given == good_answer:
>     msgbox("Correct! The answer is 'pureté'")
> else:
>     msgbox("Bug!")

Thank you in advance!