[Tutor] how can i use python 2 alongside 3?

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Jan 24 20:12:14 CET 2013

On 01/24/2013 01:56 PM, Matthew Ngaha wrote:

>> Have you added shebang lines to those scripts yet?
>>
> yes i added them. i think the problem is at the start where it asks me to:
>
> You should ensure the launcher is on your PATH - depending on how it was
> installed it may already be there, but check just in case it is not.
>
>>From a command-prompt, execute the following command:
> py
> You should find that the latest version of Python 2.x you have installed is
> started ..
>
> py is not recognized and and it said "depending on how it was
> installed". the problem is it didnt allow me to select a path when
> installing. it just automatically did everything. i have searched my
> PC for python launcher but it cant find it, so i dont know where its
> location is. i see it in "control panel" to uninstall a program but
> right clicking it doesnt give me an option to see its containing
> folder

I'm not using it, since I'm not using Windows.  So these are guesses
based on years stuck\b\b\b\b\b spent in the Windows environment.

Clearly, the name of the program is py.exe, so that's what you should
try searching for.  From the cmd prompt, try   dir /s  py.exe

Or, you could just try searching under c:\windows  since that's where
it's likely to be.

To see your PATH, type  PATH   at the cmd prompt.

To make temporary changes to your PATH (if py.exe is in an obscure
place), just type
       set PATH=c:\mydir;%PATH%

To make permanent changes to PATH, you have to change the environment
variables in the Control Panel.  I've done it many times, but don't
recall just where it is.  Such permanent changes will affect any new
runs of CMD, as well as affect any other program subsequently started.

--
DaveA