[Tutor] Set Reply-To field to Tutor at python.org

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 23:04:35 CET 2013

I have both sent and received messages on this list that went off-list
by mistake. It's an easy mistake to make that you use reply instead of
reply-all and then the message goes just to one person instead of the
whole list.

This problem is not unique to the python-tutor. I see it happening
often on other mailing lists (often it's noticeable by the fact that
someone forwards an off-list message back to the list which can
sometimes break the threading of email software).

One particular list that I receive has recently made an administrative
change so that, from now on, all emails have the "Reply-To" header set
to the list address. This means that the default behaviour when
replying to a message is that the reply goes to the list. I think that
this is the right thing to do by default since replying off-list is
much less common and more likely to be something that you are
consciously aware of when you do it.

The change seems to have gone down well on the other list so I
wondered: could it be done for this list as well?

Oscar