[Tutor] automate add-to-cart with python

Benjamin Fishbein bfishbein79 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 06:19:39 CET 2013

>    http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/installing.html

I went to this pip site. It told me to install virtualenv.
http://www.virtualenv.org/en/latest/#installation
The virtualenv site told me:
You can install virtualenv with pip install virtualenv, or the latest development version with pip install https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/tarball/develop.

But since I didn't yet have pip, I couldn't use it to install virtualenv.
Then it said:
You can also use easy_install, or if you have no Python package manager available at all, you can just grab the single file virtualenv.py and run it with pythonvirtualenv.py.

I don't have easy_install. When I tried to download easy_install, it came in an EGG format that I couldn't open despite downloading several opener apps.
I tried this page:
https://raw.github.com/pypa/virtualenv/master/virtualenv.py
I think this is what I'll have to use for installing virtualenv, but I have not idea what to do with it. I cut and pasted into a python file, then ran it in IDLE. When I ran main(), it returned the error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#8>", line 1, in <module>
    virtual_1.main()
  File "/Users/bfishbein/Documents/virtual_1.py", line 935, in main
    sys.exit(2)
SystemExit: 2

I don't have much experience with command prompt interfaces which I think is causing most of my trouble. There's probably something simple I'm missing, like a semicolon or quotes.
Please help if you can.
Thank you,
Ben