[Tutor] Saving Progress

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 23:01:49 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

> On 06/27/2013 11:16 AM, Jack Little wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to save a players progress in a game using python without
>> any modules
>>
>> Jack
>>

> If you organize the game in such a way that a relatively few variables
> holds the state, then you can write those variables to a file, and when
> restarting the program, load them from the file.
>
> Naturally you'd want to pick a file location that represents the player's
> identity.  User name is the obvious, but on many personal (game) computers,
> people use one user for many people.  In this case, you'd want some form of
> login when the game starts each time.
>
> If the variables you need to save are all ints, floats, and strings,
> writing the state-file is pretty easy.

I'd just like to point out that if the file you write to is human-readable,
then it's human-writable too; you probably don't want to have a line that
says "NumberOfLivesRemaining=5" or similar.  Make it at least a _little_
challenging to cheat.

Security-through-obscurity never really works in the end; if your players
want to cheat, they'll find a way.  But don't make it TOO easy!